May 03 2008
Creating a community sculpture garden has been a goal of Positivespace for the past 5 years and this summer we are making significant progress! (That’s what that dirt mound is for.) But we can’t do it alone, so we are asking for help.
Below is a tentative schedule of work days. If you or any gardeners, sculptors or any handy people you know would like to volunteer to make a little abandoned lot into a beautiful creative place, we’d love to have your help!
It’s a great way to meet some of the super cool PositveSpace folks and we always have fun while we’re getting our hands dirty. Please RSVP to me what days you can commit to.
And to all those who have helped so far thank you very, very much!
- Andrea W. Silva, PS Pres.
Last week in April Dan will work with NKCDC & bobcat to push dirt around the amphitheater hill.
SAT, May 3rd 9:30am-1:30pm (6-8 volunteers)
- spread out small piles of dirt in amphitheater & remove bottles and rebar to prepare area for bobcat
- cut grass & weedwack ( aack the lawn mower didn’t work)
Between Monday, May 5 – Friday, May 9th, Planted up Mike@ Diversified Metals’ planter boxes
POSTPONED (because my purse was stolen. Oh Frankford Ave. I have such high hopes for you.) SAT, May 10th 9:30am-2pm
Tentative POSTPONED b/c of rain SUN, May 11th 9a-12p
Friday, May 16 any time or Sat May 17 before noon – cut grass & weedwack (Day of TAAF!)
Thank you Circle of Hope for pitching in and doing an absolutley Fabulous job mowing and weekwacking. You made the lot beautifully green while we were painting up some signs!
SAT, May 31st 10am-2pm ***Need 4-6 volunteers***
- finish grading amphitheater hill; spread top soil & grass seed on amphitheater hill; (4-5 volunteers)
- cut grass & weedwack (2 volunteers)
SUN, June 1st 10am-2pm
- Install “Neighborhood Sign Project”(Andrea, Amy & 1-2 volunteers)
SAT June 6 (11am-1pm)
- re-install bottles and rebar, grade new dirt form, spread top soil & grass seed; (Andrea & Colleen)
SAT June 14 (2 hours) cut grass & weedwack (2 volunteers)
- weed planter bed; spread top soil in planter bed grass (2-4 volunteers)
- install drain pipes & water collection system; (1-2 volunteers)
- annual & perennial plantings in bed& planter boxes (2-6 volunteers)
SAT, June 21st 10am-2pm or SUN, June 22nd 10am-2pm
- Build shed to store tools & supplies (3-4 volunteers)
Days surrounding June 28 (2 hours) – cut grass & weedwack (2 volunteers)
SAT, July 12st 10am-2pm or SUN, July 13nd 10am-2pm
- Planting more flowering vines on fence, cut grass & weedwack (2-4 volunteers)
Days surrounding July 26 (2 hours) – cut grass & weedwack (2 volunteers)
First Friday August 1st, 5pm-8:30pm Art Project to create path edging & groundscape (4-8 volunteers)
Days surrounding SAT, August 9 (2 hours) – cut grass & weedwack (2 volunteers)
Days surrounding SAT, August 23 (2 hours) – cut grass & weedwack (2 volunteers)
Days surrounding Friday Sept 5 (2 hours) – cut grass & weedwack (2 volunteers)
Days surrounding SAT, September 27 (2 hours) – cut grass & weedwack (2 volunteers)
First Friday October 3rd, 5:30-10pm – End of Season party (6-10 volunteers)
Only those replying to volunteer for confirmed dates & times.will receive updates on the lot. Please watch the PositiveSpace website
PO BOX 15251
Philadelphia, PA 19125